Monday, January 02, 2006

resolved not to resolve

I can only think of two times in the past year that I've gotten far too drunk and stayed up past 4:00 AM: one was at Hudson's wedding in October. The other was New Years Eve in Nashville. Somehow this occurence only seems to rear its ugly head when I'm hanging out with those punk W&L friends of mine. We decide to relive our frat-tastic glory days, fall painfully short, and reap the benefits of a magnificent hangover the following morning. Or afternoon. Whatever.

In any case...yesterday's borderline retardation aside, it was a good time. Half the group had to leave mid-day on the 1st, but the last five standing (the Farringers, the Smiths, and I) had some great sushi last night. And we went to see Capote. I learned - for about the 5th time - that Philip Seymour Hoffman is ridiculously talented. I also learned that paying $2.75 in exact change for Mini Tarts because I'm too lazy and cheap to break a $20 for the $3.75 bite-sized ball-shaped 3 Musketeers is a terrible idea, because Mini Tarts have the flavor and consistency of chewable Flintstones vitamins.

So I thought about writing some sort of "year in review" post, or coming up with a resolution or two, but here's the thing: I think I've stopped seeing things in terms of open-and-closed years...there's just too much backstory that needs telling before "A Look At 2005," and too many loose ends that wouldn't get tied up. My favorite little camper (ok, she is now an old woman, but whatever) said it best in her Dec. 30th post - check out paragraph four...and please marvel at the new design while you're at it!

And as for "resolutions," I never keep them anyway. At least not the ridiculously unrealistic ones like, "I WILL start going to the gym four times a week at 7:00 in the morning!" Because that's just flat out not going to happen. I'm thinking of more general things, like "Eat healthier." This wouldn't be too much of a stretch, as cutting out the multiple daily pieces of chocolate would go a long way. Or maybe "Take more time to meditate," or "Read more." It doesn't have to be every day, just a general trend toward more goodness. No idea if that will work any beter, but I'm going to give it a shot.

No comments: