Wednesday, November 23, 2005

at least we have the memories...and an extra bottle of tequila

Back to real life this week. Mexico was unspeakably great. There are those vacations (like the ones you take to Europe) that require a great deal of lengthy travel to somewhat exotic and hard to get places...places where you feel as if you have to see and do everything to make getting there worthwhile. And there are vacations that require very little - perhaps nothing more than lying on a beach, or reading a book....and while they are pleasant and relaxing, they can get boring quickly. Mexico was a perfect balance of the two. There was lots to see and do, lots of things to experiences - new places, new language, new food and drink. But it wasn't so hard to get to Mexico that I felt compelled to "go, go, go" all the time to make sure I did and saw everything. In the mornings, we had big, leisurely breakfasts, followed by some site-seeing, shopping, more eating and perhaps a beer or two. In the afternoon, there was plenty of time to relax, read, nap, read some more, nap some more, etc., before having cocktails pre-dinner. I loved the pace of life, and if it weren't for the fact that (1) the water from the tap is unclean, or (2) I don't have a job in San Miguel, or (3) I don't speak Spanish (yet), I think I could live in Mexico.

I'll try to keep brief the litany of cool stuff that we saw, did, tasted, and bought. But a few things should be mentioned. Like the fireworks at 5:00 AM the first night we were there. Or the mariachi funeral procession that passed in front of the B&B wall one afternoon. Or the masked fiesta that took place one evening in the church square down the street for no apparent reason. I ate huitlacoche (I think that's how you spell it), a black corn fungus that's a delicacy. I tried fish tacos, and variations on an egg/refried bean/bread/salsa breakfast. I saw the artwork of Diego Rivera in Guanajuato, and a Mexican market (that happens every Tuesday) with everything from remote controls to shoes to religious icons to live chickens to bicycle parts. I ate ice cream almost every day. I learned the different kinds of tequila and drank the Don Julio reposado straight with a chaser of sangrita, a combination of bloody mary mix and orange juice. I had an hour long full body massage for less than $30 US. And I got to spend a great 7 days with my family - sometimes a blast, sometimes an uphill battle, but never a dull moment.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. So many things to be thankful for...but that's another post altogether. For now, it's bedtime - gotta get up early to sing for the Thanksgiving service tomorrow morning.

No comments: