Friday, November 25, 2005

counting my blessings...a little too late

OK, technically it's the day after Thanksgiving and I have yet to write the promised "what I'm thankful for" post. But I had an amazing Thanksgiving with one of my favorite surrogate families in Richmond, and I didn't get home until late last night. Besides, I'm still thankful for all of these things today as much as I was yesterday. Here is an insanely incomplete list:

1. My family. All of them. Even the crazy ones.
2. My house (my own house), modest by U.S. standards but a castle by world standards.
3. The fact that I have food in my refrigerator and pantry.
4. My dog Scout - what would I do without her?
5. My job(s) at the church. It has its trying moments, but on the whole it's pretty amazing. And so are the people I work with.
6. All of my friends, new and old, near and far. Trying to name them or categorize them would be a fruitless endeavor, as I would have far too much to say about each one.
7. The gift of music. Where would the world be without music??
8. The change in seasons, year after year.
9. Most importantly, the fact that my heart is beating and my lungs are taking in air (and that my brain is aware of these two facts). Both hands and feet work, as do my eyes and ears. Sure, I could be in a little bit (OK, a lot) better shape, but I'm here and I'm healthy, and that's the most important thing of all.
10. Oh yeah...I almost forgot to be thankful for college football, especially for Auburn beating Georgia and Alabama in two consecutive weeks. War Eagle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. My friend named Chris, who still loves me even when things like "Spread your pussies and have some fun, bitches!" slip out of my impulsive lips.
2. Dogs like Scout and Matzah that play and nuzzle.
3. Being around obese, ostentatious people for Thanksgiving, which makes me want to fast and give away all my belongings.
4. My ghetto storage space next to the ghetto Kroger, because all I do is store my superfluous shit in there and some scary ghetto-folk actually live in their store units. Seriously.
5. Wendy's spicy chicken filet sandwiches. Oh Damn.